Monday, February 4, 2013

Cover Girl Outlast Megawatt Mauve and Constant Caribbean

Since I've started to see the Cover Girl Outlast polishes showing up in core displays now, I figured it was high time I finally shared the colors I bought from the shelf-top displays soon after the line was launched. They don't have any glitters in this line yet (unlike the Boundless Color line which preceded it; that had some fun glitter topcoats), so I got two shimmers, one a quiet color and one that's louder.



Megawatt Mauve (those are two words I'm not sure should be used together) is one of those colors sometimes called mauve that I think of as "dusty peach"; it's definitely orange-toned, not purple-toned, and purple-toned is one of my requirements for mauve. Regardless, I chose this because I could see a bright pink shimmer in the bottle which looked interesting.



On the nail, this reads as a creme; I never really saw that pink shimmer come out, even at strange angles or in low light. Maybe it shows up in full sunlight, but that's rather hard to come by around here at this time of year. I used two coats of this. I didn't use topcoat; in this case it wasn't just because I was lazy or wanting to move on to the next swatch—the display says these are "color with built-in topcoat". That said, I think this could have benefited from some added shine, so if I were going to wear it as a full mani, I'd definitely topcoat it.





The other shimmer I tried, Constant Caribbean, definitely showed shimmer on the nail. So much so, I'm a bit tempted to call it a frost. This was also two coats.





Constant Caribbean did glow nicely in low light:



I didn't have any issues with the formula of these. I did find the caps more awkward to work with than the taller, thinner ones that the Boundless Color line had. The chunky square part is supposed to slide off to reveal a more wieldy inner cap (I've seen pictures), but I sure couldn't find a way to do it easily (I guess if the outer cap came off easily, soon stores would be full of bottles with that part taken off, because some customers just don't know how to behave). I was afraid I'd break something if I applied any more force, so I gave up and polished holding the big square cap. Based on these two colors, I'm not that excited to try more of the line, but I think perhaps I should, because I do like the looks of Timeless Rubies as seen on whimsy and beauty.

12 comments:

  1. As much as I love CG polishes (huge fan of the vintage NailSlicks), and as excited I was for them to release polish again, I'm not a big fan of the bottles. That blue is pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Constant Caribbean is really pretty. That's so odd about the shimmer in Megawatt Mauve. It looks like a plain creme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've stopped to look at the display probably five or six times now and still just haven't been able to bring myself to buy one. The colors just aren't super unique! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both look really pretty. I really like Constant Caribbean :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know the square cap came off! I should try it. Thanks for the mention! I have to say that after I bought Timeless Rubies, none of the other colors really appealed to me. I keep browsing, but no shade jumped out at me like Timeless Rubies did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the displays but haven't seen worth buying...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have some of these and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Megawatt Mauve (although the name is bizarre). It looks so lovely on you. I'm not a big fan of frost polishes but that colours brings me back good memories of my childhood polish collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate when shimmer in the bottle doesn't translate to the nail. I'm not a fan of either of these colors.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are pretty cool. This is another polish set that my grocery store has put in a bowl on a shelf and I never really looked through it. Mostly, I think, I'm holding out for more Color Clubs. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, too bad Megawatt Mauve's shimmer didn't come through! Great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of Megawatt Mauve! I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading and commenting! I greatly appreciate knowing I'm not just talking to myself here. :) I'm moderating most comments now due to the spate of spammers who claim to be looking for sexy times.